13 November 2010

Off to see the Wiz............

I never knew that there was anything "special" or "different" about today.  There is really nothing notable about the month of November in our family outside of my Aunt Cookie's birthday-Nov. 19th, Mrs. Jennings' birthday-Nov. 21 (Des' Grandmother) and Thanksgiving.
Last night I was looking through things.  My mother's number sheets and books trying to figure out her "system" (she was pretty lucky) and I saw the lists of books she has read.  My mother has written down the titles and authors of each book she has read!! And if you knew my Mama, she STAYED at the library checking out books.  Some kind of way she would read more than one book at a time (she had loads of bookmarks as well).
But, I digress.  This date isn't even about her.  Even though we laid her to rest one year ago yesterday.  I found a PlayBill from when my Daddy took me to see "The Wiz"!!!  One of our BEST "Daddy/Rae Dates".  I didn't even remember he called them that.  She had written that on the cover with the date----November 13, 1977!!!  Thirty-three years ago today!
It was doubly exciting because Stephanie Mills was playing Dorothy and we had seats so close I felt I could see her looking at me.  I was only 9 years old, but that date I will NEVER forget.  I've forgotten some before and even after.  But, not that one.  He helped me get into my long pink and white dress with the matching shawl and he let me "pretend" like I was helping him tie his bow tie (he always wore bow ties <3)
My Daddy, George Fitzgerald Hall (don't know why he's not a II or Junior cuz his dad's name was the same), was just SO MUCH FUN!!! My Mama always seemed to smile wider when he was around.  I know I did.  I really don't see too much of me in him, I think I look a lot like my Mama (at least that's wishful thinking).  I do see a LOT of him in my son, who looks like me.  So, go figure. LOL....When my Mama decided to leave my Dad I think I knew it was coming.  They sat me down and said that they were splitting up and Mama and I would be going to Gary to live with my Nana.  When they asked my 11 year-old self if I had any questions, the only thing I could think to ask was, "So, Daddy.  How many times are you gonna send for me or come see me?"  He said, "As often as you want me to Baby."  I LOVED THE WAY HE CALLED ME BABY :)! It made me smile ear to ear when he'd call and say, "Hello Baby"...I can still hear it in the back of my mind sometimes.  I was satisfied with their explanations and went back to my room as if they had just told me they were going to buy a couch. *shrug*
My Daddy kept his promise.  I was on a plane alone (back then it was ok for kids to travel alone) or he was headed here for a holiday, special event or best of all my high school graduation and debutante ball.  I remember our dance was the Lindy Hop. 
If there was a "Wiz" to see today I would ask him/her/it to give me STRENGTH because that seems to be what I'm lacking most these days. *kanye shrug*
I thank and appreciate all who will read. Peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment