13 November 2011

Stop Bangin Your Head....

Today's post comes with the news that another Hip Hop pioneer is in poor health.  Erick Sermon aka The Green Eyed Bandit and half of the trailblazing/legendary duo EPMD (Erick & Parrish Makin' Dollars)...Sermon suffered a heart attack yesterday at 42 YEARS OLD!!!
Last week I'm looking at someone just a little older than me (Heavy D) leaving this life for his reward....and today someone roughly 2 years YOUNGER than me, suffering a heart attack.  I'm not sure about anyone else, but when I was 21/22 I never thought of myself as "middle-aged"....I felt I was just getting started.
When you hear people speak of us being in our "last days" I often say, each day that we live brings us closer to the "last" so live like there is no tomorrow.  Live for yourself and your love.
I personally have known a few "younger" people who had suffered heart attacks.  One of my best friends (my Twin) recently succumbed to one at 41 just this past year.  I feel an ache in my heart every time I speak of her and how she may have felt leaving this life so young.  I know how I feel without her.  #lost/lonely/ill-preparedforlife
I really have focused more on my own mortality since my parents and my aunt have left.  While my Daddy was 73 when he left me, some may say he had lived his life and it was his time....I say when I last saw him in that room at Amsterdam House (his nursing home in Harlem, NY) he was getting better.  His "light" was coming back.  Even though I was comfortable with the "last goodbye" we had, my selfishness wanted more time.  Then my aunt left just a few months short of her 68th birthday and then my Mama leaves me a few months after her 67th birthday....it just leaves me to wonder.  How much time I have left. Where/how will my story end?
Well, I do know that all of that is not at all up to me.  So I have to go with the flow and continue to live my life.  I do know that part of my flow will include doing things I've always wanted/needed to do and connecting with those I need to connect with while at the same time dis-connecting with those who don't (possibly never did) fit.  I can not look back on things past and keep banging my head over what could have/would have been.  I just know that there is so much more in store for me and mine.
I send this post with well wishes/prayers for the recovery of Erick Sermon and any one else reading in need of prayer.  We should all stop banging our heads with what if's and why not's ("What if I was smaller?", "What if I were lighter?", "What if I had more money?", "Why doesn't he/she like me?", "Why do I keep believing when I know he/she is lying?", "Why do I keep loving when they don't love me?")......Just stop it! Start focusing on what you know to be good about you. We all have something/s.  Embrace it! Keep your head banging with the positive.....

Follow me on Twitter @RavenAboutMe or email me at Raven@nga-radio.com

I thank and appreciate all who will read. Peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment